It might be one of the most important quests you ever embark on for yourself or for a loved one: the senior living search. It’s your opportunity to gather the details you need to make the choice that works best for your family. It can feel daunting, but with a little preparation in advance, you will feel confident you are on the right track.
What are you hoping to find in your senior living search?
While everyone’s wish list is unique, there are certain things that most people have in mind. For example, a warm and friendly atmosphere. A feeling of family and acceptance. Compassionate, quality care delivered by staff who honor the dignity of each person. Interesting, approachable neighbors who greet each other with a smile.
In other words, a wonderful place to call home. So how do you find just the right community?
At LSS Senior Living, we want to be of help with your senior living search. We’ve put together a list of questions for you to ask in person on a tour, over the phone, or to keep in mind as you do online research, and you will probably add to this list as you get underway.
Remember, all questions are important if they matter to you. Don’t hesitate to ask until you get the information you need.
Sample questions for your senior living search:
- What levels of care are available? You or a loved one might presently be interested in independent living or assisted living. But needs can change, which is why you want to find out if the community offers additional supportive care such as skilled nursing, rehabilitation or memory care. Knowing in advance can offer great peace of mind when it comes to having a plan for the future.
- What is the staffing ratio? Not everyone requires constant care and attention. But if your loved one has intensive medical needs, find out if the community’s skilled nursing includes 24-hour nursing by a licensed professional. Also be sure to ask for a list of care services provided.
- What is the staff turnover rate? Whether it’s you or your loved one, the goal is to be around caring, attentive people who build a relationship of trust and support with each individual. Ask about the stability of the staff, and when you do an in-person tour, be sure to take the time to chat with a few staff members.
- What services and amenities are in place? Quality of life is important for every person. Ask about services that make life easier for residents, such as housekeeping, transportation, laundry services, dining, security and more. Is there a salon/barber shop? An outdoor patio? A private dining room for hosting families?
- Is there an overall mission or approach to healthy aging? Some senior living communities are driven by a larger purpose that guides daily life for their residents. For example, a non-profit community constantly is reinvesting in the wellbeing of its residents and their families.
LSS Kensington Place, LSS Lutheran Village and LSS The Good Shepherd all are deeply connected to the mission and values of the LSS Network of Hope—meeting each resident where they are and making each day the best it can be.
- How is the dining program? May I see a menu? Food is important in the senior living search, so take the time to get a feel for what mealtime is like. Be sure to have at least a few meals in the community and observe the atmosphere, the wait-staff, and whether residents seem to be enjoying themselves.
- What kind of activities and events are offered? Be sure to ask for an activity calendar and ask which are most popular. Ask about resources for staying fit and strong, opportunities for healthy socializing, and how the staff helps residents engage with one another. Don’t forget entertainment and just plain fun. Laughter is essential to a happy life!
These questions are just the beginning of your senior living search
The more you delve into the possibilities, the more questions you’ll have. Don’t forget to ask about floor plans, monthly fees, family involvement, resources in the surrounding area, and anything else that comes to mind. And if possible, visit each community and simply observe how it feels. Is it like home, where you or a loved one can relax and enjoy a life with no stress and lots of ways to find joy in each day? If so, you’ve found the answers you were looking for.
Senior living, the LSS Senior Living way
At LSS Senior Living, our goal is to offer seniors quality care and comfort in a friendly and warm environment that feels like home. We offer a continuum of services to lend a helping hand when you need them. Find out more about our communities:
Speak to an advisor today, we’re here to help!